Skip to the content

Check if you need a student visa to study in Germany

A young student researches on her laptop
How to apply for a German Study Visa

In order to study long-term in Germany (longer than 90 days), you must apply for a student visa which lasts between 3-6 months. If you’re taking a course with a duration of less than 90 days, no visa is required.

If you stay for longer than 3 months, you will also need a Residence Permit which you can get at the Alien Registration Office.

Documents you will need to go about this process includes certificate of health insurance, valid passport, 3 passport photos with biometric specifications, proof of covered finances, letter of admission from a German institution, academic certificates, proof of English or German language skills (if your course will be taught in German) and the Residence permit fee.

Foreign students are also encouraged to open up a blocked bank account. This is just to reassure German authorities that you are able to afford your studies here. You will only get access to these funds after you have arrived in the country.

Please click the relevant link to find useful information on the visa process from your country: India, Sri Lanka, Turkey, Thailand, Nigeria, Morocco, Brazil

For all other countries, please click here.

Students from European Union (EU) Countries

If you hail from an EU nation, applying for a Residence Permit is not required. Accommodation within Berlin is cheaper in comparison to its European counterparts and is a hugely popular study destination for students from across the globe.

With an incredibly rich culture and history, international cuisine and an array of leisure destinations, Berlin is the ultimate place to be right now.

Accommodation-wise, you can pick between private halls, a private apartment or university guesthouses.

Need further convincing? These are the top reasons to join us: programmes taught in English, Central Berlin location, excellent student support, affordable fees & scholarships, free Executive Education course, paid internships, dedicated careers service, free German language lessons, face-to-face sessions and an e-learning platform.

Free Legal Support

We have partnered with the law firm, SERS RECHTSANWALTSGES GmbH, to provide you with visa advice including:

  • personal consultations;
  • police registrations;
  • residency titles;
  • lectures on relevant visa issues.

These can access free of charge, helping you to focus on your studying and have an excellent experience living abroad. To find more click here.

The Legal Support  service is subject to the Consumer Contracts (Terms and Conditions). Information on your consultation, obligation and cancellation with the Firm, can be found on the Opt In form given to you as part of the campus registration.