Skip to the content

Study permit

Are you a Thai student wishing to pursue education in Germany? The first step to be able to enter the country is to apply for a student visa. The National Visa is the entry visa for a long-term stay for a specific travel purpose, including study. It is usually granted for 90 days and, in some cases, for up to one year. After entry, a residence permit is usually required.

Steps to take to apply for a German study visa from Thailand

In order to apply for a visa, you need to make an appointment with the embassy. For more information, please click here. The Germany Embassy in Thailand has a website available in both German as well as Thai languages. Furtherdetails on visas for Thai citizens is available here.

In order to apply for a visa, you need the following documents:

  • A valid passport
  • Two biometric passport photos
  • Two fully completed applications forms for national visas (do not forget your signature!)
  • Admission letter to the German University you intend to study at
  • Proof of previous education (translated in German)
  • Proof of self-funding of at least 720 Euros per month for the entire duration of the study
  • Proof of sufficient knowledge of German (minimum level B1)

You should expect to receive your visa around a month after applying.

All you need to know about opening a blocked bank account

This process needs to be online although you can start it at your local German embassy. Most international students opt to open their account with Deutche Bank, although the choice is completely yours. You can access Deutsche Bank’s online form right here.

To meet the visa requirements, you must have at least €8,640. This is the sufficient amount required so the authorities are aware that you can fund yourself for the first 12 months of your course.

Be sure to open your account in plenty of time as it can be a long wait and you need the money in time for your semester to begin.

If you’d like to work while studying

Many students relish the chance to earn some extra cash on the side whilst studying. Under German law, Thai students are permitted to work 120 days per year or 240 half days annually.

Please bear in mind that this includes unpaid work. You do not have the right to work as a freelancer nor declare yourself self-employed.

Useful info

For Thai students in Germany requiring consular assistance, please visit:

Embassy of Thailand is at Lepsiusstrasse 64/66 12163 Berlin
Tel: 030 794 810
Fax: 030 794 811 18